4 Reasons Why You Need to Invest In a Great Website
Businesses mull over designing or redesigning their websites at various times, often wondering questions like:
- We’ve done well enough so far. Do we really need a website? (If you want to continue to grow, yes)
- Our website appears to be performing alright. Do we really need to have it redesigned? (Yes, because it could be performing better)
- Can we redesign our website in-house? (Unless you have a professional web designer on staff, you probably shouldn’t)
If you work hard on other aspects of your marketing, then your website design should be a top priority. Why? Because it’s essentially home base for all of your other efforts. Most importantly, studies show that nearly three-quarters of all site visitors judge a business by the visual appearance of their website. This is money you’re leaving on the table if you’re not meeting your customers’ expectations.
How Does A Professional Website Design Generate Leads for My Business?
For the most part, there are four different areas you can use to predict a significant return on investment from having your website professionally designed:
- Site Load Speed
- Color Scheme
- Page Layout
- Customer Trust
Let’s take a look at each of them.
1. How Much Money Does a Slow Site Cost?
The Importance of site speed can’t be overstated. Google has revealed loading speed as a significant ranking factor when indexing and ranking web pages. Not to mention at Google, they believe that 2 seconds is the maximum a site should take to load, but in-house Google strives for .5 seconds. The fact that 40% of Internet users will leave a site if it takes longer than three seconds to load is a compelling argument for professional website design AND maintenance! If your site is slow, 40% of your prospects could turn to your competitors.
2. Can My Site Color Scheme Really Affect My Sales?
In a word: yes. Over 92% of people indicate that what they see affects their purchase decisions more than any other sense. Additionally, even something as small as your call-to-action (CTA) color can drastically increase your conversion rate. Performable, a marketing automation company that was acquired by Hubspot in 2011, reported a 21% increase in conversion rate after changing their CTA button color from green to red.
3. What Difference Can Page Layout Make?
People often discuss the “F-shaped scanning” pattern. It’s often said that most people read information on the web in an F-shaped pattern, which isn’t necessarily the case. The Nielsen Norman Group has said that their research is often misunderstood. They clarified that while the F-shaped pattern is supported by research, “Good design can prevent F-shape scanning.”
This means that you can work with a web designer to actually guide the eyes of your site visitors. You can encourage them to look where you want them to, like your product page.
4. My Website Can’t Actually Create Customer Trust…. Can It?
- Updating your site design to something more modern can increase your conversion rate by as much as 33%.
- Making a homepage simple can increase conversions by 225% (as the Weather Channel experienced).
You can work with your web designer to include symbols that increase trust, such as:
- awards and news mentions
- your product or service guarantees
- and security and certification seals from trusted organizations
Having an unprofessional design can cause your site visitors to question the legitimacy of your business. If site visitors don’t trust your website, they won’t become customers. Think of your website like a brick-and-mortar store. You want it to be designed perfectly to attract your ideal customer.
Also, if a bad website and discredit you, then a fast-performing website with a beautiful design adds to your credibility. You can use your website to sell your business to customers before they interact with any employees. Most people check the Internet before they make a purchase. You should make sure what they find presents your company in the best light.
Are you considering redesigning your website? What would a wonderfully designed website do for your business?